Applications are invited for the position of Parish Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer to manage the administration, personnel, resources, and finances of Tibshelf Parish Council.
Tibshelf Parish is in the District of Bolsover, Derbyshire with proximity to Nottingham, Chesterfield, Sheffield, Mansfield, and Sutton-in-Ashfield, and close to the M1 motorway. There are approximately 4000 electors in the parish. The Parish Council consists of 11 Councillors and 9 staff members (4.5 FTE).
This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and forward-thinking individual who can manage and lead a small dedicated team, and work with Councillors to actively promote the work of the council within the community. You must be able to work well with contractors and forge strong local partnerships alongside managing the statutory obligations of the council, including its financial responsibilities. The successful applicant will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, a positive ‘can-do’ attitude, combined with strong commercial and financial management and an understanding of charity law. The job is predominantly office based.
The Clerk is the Proper Officer to the Parish Council. Main duties include:
- Attendance at meetings – held the third Tuesday of the month at 7pm, plus committee meetings
- The preparation of meeting agendas and the taking of accurate minutes of Parish Council meetings
- Keeping accurate financial records, banking, invoices, and payment of accounts
- Setting the council’s budget, liaising with auditors, preparing end of year accounts
- Acting on decisions and resolutions taken at council meetings
- Dealing with correspondence from Councillors, members of the public and external organisations
- Supervising the maintenance of, and updates to, the council’s website.
- Management of a Village Hall with charity status
- Resources management including a cemetery, sportsground, and pavilion, play area and allotments
- Line Management of 9 staff member.
Note that a staffing review is pending once the clerk is in post to provide input to the process.
The successful applicant will have:
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Good IT skills (Microsoft Office, Excel, Railtas, Sage Payroll)
- An understanding of basic accounting processes
- An understanding of, and the ability to interpret, local government legislation
- Ability to work independently and prioritise workload, and maintain political neutrality
- A relevant qualification (CiLCA) or the willingness to work towards achieving this
- Knowledge of the local area would also be an advantage.
The post includes some evening meetings and occasional weekend work.
Full time – 37 hours per week
Salary: On the LC2 (above) scale, SCP 29-32 (£32,910 – £35,745) with a one-point increment for CiLCA.
Closing Date: 3rd November 2021 Interview Date: 19th November 2021
Application Form: (Word) Person Specification: (Word | PDF) Job Description: (Word | PDF)
If you are interested in applying for a challenging but rewarding post, working with an active Parish Council with a commitment to working for Tibshelf community please contact Mark Scarborough, Communications & Projects Officer email@example.com for an application pack, which includes a job description, person spec and application form. Application packs can also be downloaded from the Council’s website — https://tibshelfparishcouncil.gov.uk. If you require any further details or would like to discuss the post please contact, Susan Coldwell, Locum Parish Clerk on 01773 875093.