Photos and information about the history of Tibshelf’s Railways.
Closed to passengers in March 1963
Closed to goods traffic in May 1964
Another early photograph of Tibshelf Town Station, again most likely posed, and again probably from the MS&LR days. Surprisingly, a coloured version of this photograph also exists, which probably indicates it was commissioned by the railway company
The old bridge which carried High Street over the railway line, and was the dividing line between Top Enders and Bottom Enders. The bridge was replaced around 50 years ago when it became unsafe. Passengers travelling on the upper deck of buses passing over it, had to walk over the bridge in order to spread the load. Its replacement, which was a then, state of the art construction still stands and will have soon have lasted longer than the original structure.
Another view of the bridge, probably taken from a first storey window of the adjacent Wheatsheaf hotel. Most of the other buildings, along with the bridge, have long since been demolished, including the three storey Vicarage and attached buildings, the brick house to the rear, the terraced stone cottages, and the Church Hall which can just be seen beyond.
Another aerial view this time take from over the railway line. Tibshelf Town Station layout can be seen very clearly. The fields on the left are now built on; the Staffa Drive estate. It can also be seen, that whilst West View had already been built, the Derwent Drive estate had not. This dates the photo to the very early 1950s.T he Savoy cinema is also visible on the extreme left.
Looking towards Tibshelf from Newton, this is the LNER line as it passed over the LMS and Newton Road. In the middle distance on the right, can been seen the old good shed, and just about visible on the horizon is Tibshelf Church and the old bridge over High Street. To the left of the photo, behind the telegraph pole you can see the old terraced houses rising up Sunny Bank.
Tibshelf & Newton Station
Closed to passengers in 1930
This photo was probably taken from the Great Central Railway bridge over Newton Road, probably dates from the very early part of the 20th century. Note the loaded coal wagons in the sidings, no doubt the product of Tibshelf’s two collieries, or maybe Silver Hill and Butcher Wood which the line also served. The view is looking towards Tibshelf. The booking hall is now a dwelling
Doe Hill Station
Tibshelf’s third railway station at Doe Hill, which is nearer Morton, but still within Tibshelf Parish. Judging from the fashions, and the clerestory coaches, this photo no doubt is pre-1923 when the Midland Railway railway became a constuent part of the newly formed LMS, but is probably prior to the First World War. As with Tibshelf & Newton Station, the booking hall has been converted into a dwelling.